Wednesday 11 February 2015

AFCON 2015: Congratulations (again) to Ivory Coast

Look closely into the picture in the retweet above, which I have posted from the official Twitter account of the Presidency of the Côte d'Ivoire. You will see Yaya Touré holding the coveted AFCON trophy and sitting beside the Ivorian President atop the front-car in the cavalcade doing the victory lap in front of the home-crowd. 

The Ivory Coast's victory over Ghana in the AFCON 2015 final on penalties has ended a 23-year wait for the trophy. And, well done to them. Bien joué. Spare a moment, though, for Ghana. They have been trying unsuccessfully since their 1982 AFCON crown to add a fifth AFCON trophy to their national cabinet. The wait goes on.

I have written about my main observations at Football Every Day and at KettleMag so I won't take up any time here rehashing those pieces. 

Naturally too, the end of the AFCON 2015 tournament has left me bereft of a dynamic subject matter to write about such as the one only AFCON tournaments can really provide. 

However, the passing of time has made me think about what I can write about next and I have decided to focus on football-topics much closer to home - namely, Belgium. So, over the next weeks (I hope longer, but we will see where it goes) the central theme to my writing is going to be on the football of Belgium and the Netherlands. 

As, Belgium and the Netherlands have been otherwise referred to as the Low Countries and my surname so happens to be Low, I thought this a good opportunity for a bit of wordplay...

So, as a working title for the next few posts, I am going with:

Lowzer's Low Country Lowdown 
What I aim to do is put on the lenses of a pseudo football analyst to try and dissect what happened and why in the worlds of Belgian and Dutch top-flight football.

So, look out for the posts. I do hope you enjoy them.

No comments:

Post a Comment